We can’t say enough good things about oatmeal (but maybe we’re a little biased). Undoubtedly, there is a wealth of research that touts the health benefits of oatmeal as a part of your daily breakfast rotation. Here are the top five:
- Oatmeal promotes satiety to keep you feeling full longer. Fiber keeps you feeling fuller longer and oats are loaded with it – about 10 grams per dry cup. A bowl of oatmeal in the morning will help keep mid-morning snacking at bay. Add a low-sugar protein powder or other protein toppers like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese to add to that satisfied feeling.
- Oatmeal is good for your gut. Oats are a prebiotic food and the beta-glucan fiber helps feed the good bacteria. The fiber helps to keep you full for hours by slowing down digestion AND contributes to keeping bowel movements regular. A healthy gut decreases the risk for disease and inflammation.
- Oatmeal aids in the regulation of blood sugar. Oatmeal is a complex carb meaning it has oodles of fiber and is more slowly digested than other refined carbs. This causes a steady increase in your blood sugar rather than a large spike. This promotes steady energy instead of a spurt of energy and then a crash a few hours later. It’s good news for people with diabetes as well.
- Oatmeal helps to Lower LDL Cholesterol. If you want to lower your LDL cholesterol, switch to oatmeal for breakfast. Oats contain beta-glucan fiber which has a tremendous impact on reducing LDL or “bad” cholesterol. It’s one of the best foods that you can eat for a healthy heart.
- Oatmeal has anti-Inflammatory properties. Not only do oats have protein and fiber, they are full of other powerful vitamins and minerals. Oats boast 24 phenolic compounds — plant compounds that have antioxidant properties. One antioxidant group called avenanthramides are found almost exclusively in oats and help reduce inflammation and protect against coronary heart disease.
Any type of oats — steel cut, rolled or instant — provide health benefits, but the best of the best are steel cut oats since they are the least processed, offer a touch more nutritional value and are the lowest on the glycemic index. Unfortunately, they can take the longest to prepare, but we have a solution for that.
Look for us in the freezer aisle. Path of Life Organic Steel Cut Oatmeals are sweetened with only fresh fruit so you can’t go wrong with either the Apple Cinnamon or Berry flavor. Plus, our pouches are ready in just four minutes in the microwave.
Find more ideas on our recipes page, and keep your eye on this blog for more tips, tricks, recipes, and knowledge to help you live a more simple, flavorful and nutritious life.